Sunday, April 6, 2014

My Modern Skirmish Special Operations Project

All,

So, my painting streak has continued, and I've been working on a big "Special Operations" project using individually based troops (10mm of course).  I've got some figuring to do still regarding the backstory/concept, but it goes something like this: a small but very financially powerful group of individuals are seeking to establish the "New World Order."  They are not aligned with any nation/state; currently they make their money conducting legitimate business in various markets worldwide, with their shadowy/paramilitary side staging in various rogue-and failed-state territories (Iran, Cuba, North Korea, Somalia, Sudan, Af-Pak border, etc...).  They sell themselves as anarchists/"99 per centers," and the world is calling them "Occupy The World," or OTW (and our Special Forces operators are calling them "Oscars"), but their goal is to establish and rule as a one-world government.

In furtherance of these goals, for more direct action, as well as capitalizing their existing means of moving people, funds, and munitions, the Oscars have teamed up with Al-Qaeda's replacement, the transnational terrorist group, "Ir Habeen."  This alliance was also made possible by proximity as Ir-Habeen bases itself out of the same rogue- and failed-state territories OTW is now using.

Earlier this year the most horrendous terrorist attacks in human history were carried out: with financial and technical support from OTW, Ir Habeen exploded several "suitcase nukes" in major cities worldwide, and twice as many "dirty bombs," with every continent being touched.  These were combined with various smaller raids and bombings worldwide, as well as with cyber attacks by OTW personnel on communications, first responder vehicles and equipment, hospital infrastructure, and financial and banking institutions.  The combined effects of the attacks paralyzed strong governments and felled weaker ones worldwide, with the known death toll topping one million.

Needless to say, Military, Intelligence, and Security cooperation worldwide is at an all time high, with various agreements, treaties, and alliances taking place, with working groups, think-tanks, and task forces being stood up to counter the new reality of asymmetric, non-governmental, non-territorially aligned foes capable of attack across a broad spectrum of capabilities.  Part of the various new initiatives was the standing up of a Joint Combined Special Operations Group, or JCSOG (pronounced jick-sog).

My primary plan is to follow one 17-man platoon of "Jixers" on their missions to counter the Oscars and Ir Habeen across the globe.  Here's what I'll be using:

 Everything I've got so far.

Here's the Jixers.  The concept is there is a Platoon Commander and four 4-man teams, which I did for temperate, desert, and urban.  I used Minifigs Special Forces for them.

Here are the three versions of Team 1.  Wasn't really sure what to do with the 'urban,' so I painted the bases gray and threw a wash on them.  Not the prettiest, but it works I guess.

 Team 1.

 Team 1.

 Team 2.

 Team 2.

 Team 2.

Team 2's leader.  You can see the cammies, different colored flak jacket and deuce gear, and the desert version with the painted weapon.

 Team 3.

 Team 3.

 Team 3.

 Team 3's leader, who I think looks really cool.  Got a bandanna on, carrying a LAW (I put yellow strips on them to make them stand out).

 Team 4.

 Team 4.

 Team 4.

 Team 4's leader.

 The platoon leader.  I actually only have two of this pose, had to use a different version for the urban platoon leader.

 Platoon leader.

Since I forgot them earlier, here's Tm 1's leader.  I used one of these sculpts for the urban Plt Ldr as well.

Now let's get to some bad guys.

 Here's "Ir Habeen," the transnational terrorists, using Minifigs Arab Insurgents.

 Ir Habeen.

 Ir Habeen.

The OTW paramilitaries, or "Oscars."  These are Minifigs Warsaw Pact infantry.

 Oscars.

 Oscars.

Closeup, showing them wearing masks.

 These are Pendraken Brits from the Falklands Range.  I'm not sure yet what they'll be used for, but I'm sure they'll see the table at some point.

Again.

 Again.

These are Pendraken Aussies from the Vietnam Range, except for the RPG gunner, who is also from Pendraken's Vietnam Range, but he's actually a Vietnamese troop.  These will be used for Africa and South America.

 Again.

 Again.

These are Pendraken Aussies and Americans from their Vietnam range.  Not a lot of them, I figure to use them as recon types, both good and bad guys.

 Again.

Again.  Check out the dark green and black on the flesh, trying to show them being cammied up.

Couple sniper teams from Pendraken's Brit Falklands Range.

 Again.

 Again.

These are Pendraken Argentinians from their Falklands Range.  These will be government troops for, well, whatever I need them for.

 Again.

 Again.

 These are Pendraken, both Brit and Argentinian Special Forces from their Falklands range, which I painted up to serve as paramilitaries/irregulars/Drug Cartel members/pirates, etc...

 Again.

 Again.

 Leader models, where you can see the are wearing face masks.  I posted photos of these previously, but before I put a wash on them.  they look much better now...

Civvies for the Middle East.  I don't know what it is about these, but these little guys do more than any other minis I've ever seen to remind me of Iraq and Afghanistan...

 Again.

 Again.

 "Western" civvies.

 Again.

 Again.  Good Lord I spent too much time on these...

 Civvie (or military, I suppose, depending on what I need for the scenario) workers/ground crew/maintenance folks/ship's crew/etc...

 Again.

Again.

Plenty of stuff to play with, now I just need to get them on the table.  I'm going to be playing 'true' skirmish, so one man is not just one man, but he activates and acts individually.  I've looked and looked but haven't really seen anything I like, so I'll be using some homegrown rules that will probably have some bumps as I get them figured out.

V/R,
Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment